Calorie Burning Can be N.E.A.T.
Before our daughter I’d never heard of the acronym N.E.A.T.
I was active.
I worked out.
I had hours at my disposal to do with what I pleased.
I didn’t hear of N.E.A.T. and most likely would have scoffed at the concept had I stumbled upon it.
Exercise, in my mind, had to be focused, sweaty and completed in stints of thirty minutes at a time.
Flash forward a few years and I live each day with a N.E.A.T. backdrop.
As a working mother, wife, friend, sister, and volunteer I’ve learned the importance of seizing N.E.A.T.ness in any form I can.
I credit it for my ability to remain functionally fit with minimal time invested in traditional exercise.
I’m busy. I do what I can. And I’m grateful I have N.E.A.T to help me take care of the rest.
Is your curiosity piqued? Allow me to clarify what I’m talking about.
N.E.A.T. is defined as non-exercise activity thermogenesis.
Essentially the acronym refers to energy expended during activity (fidgeting to shopping) that’s acts as a form of exercise.
And I’m not exaggerating when I say N.E.A.T. has been my fitness-savior. It’s taught me my body doesn’t really know the difference between walking on a treadmill and pacing during a conference call.
In addition, since sitting has been deemed the new smoking, the fact that I’ve converted much of my sedentary time into movement could help lengthen my lifespan.
I still strive to do traditional workouts, but studies (and my experience) show taking advantage of N.E.A.T can burn up to 500 extra calories per day.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to squeeze N.E.A.T. into my day.
• Buy a pedometer. I selected a basic, inexpensive basic model. Something that only counted my steps. Not only did I find the numbers motivating, I discovered the slight pressure of the pedometer on my waistband reminded me to get up and walk. Phone calls and brainstorming sessions for work are all easily done in motion, too.
• Isometric ab contractions. Sometimes life dictates I sit still and work. During those long stretches I find both activity and stress reduction through tightening and releasing my core. I also have friends who swear isometric ab contraction is their secret to core strength and six pack abs. Whether this is true or not is debatable, but I’ve definitely found it helps me remember to keep my core contracted throughout my day.
• I lunge. Everywhere. I lunge across parking lots. I lunge when I clean the house. I lunge (we call it silly walking) at the park with my daughter. You will never find me lunging as part of a formal workout (can’t stand them)—but when N.E.A.T.ing I’m a fitting-them-in machine.
• I’m a N.E.A.T. cook. I don’t love to spend time in the kitchen. I’d rather be with the ones I love than preparing food for them. It’s just who I am. Now, when I grow impatient waiting for water to boil or salmon to poach, I N.E.A.T. I turn on music and dance. I do calf raises in place after I’ve retrieved the colander from the shelf. The kitchen offers myriad ways to fit in fitness when we’re willing to get N.E.A.T.-creative.
• I turn the sedentary into active. I love to watch recorded television. Now, instead of skipping all the commercials, I’ll use a few for movement bursts. Two minutes of planks? 4 sets of push-ups? A minute of jump rope or hula hooping? These all fit perfectly into commercial time. I also drag friends along for the N.E.A.T. ride. I love book groups. I wish I possessed more motivation to walk outside. The two mixed together (our walking book club) is a perfect N.E.A.T. combo for busy, book loving women.
Whatever you choose to call it—-N.E.A.T., constant motion, viewing your day through the lens of movement— the result is burning extra daily calories in a practically imperceptible way.
What sedentary daily activities could you turn into N.E.A.T.?
How are you already incorporating the idea of N.E.A.T. into your busy day?
Welcome to the Supplemental!
The Supplemental is a blog for "Life...supplemented", a forum for discussion around healthy diet, supplements and exercise. Our panel of experts who share a variety of fresh and innovative perspectives, will provide ways to live a healthier life and inspire you to make smart choices.
Most Popular Posts